Sunday, January 20, 2013

"Martha, Martha!"

But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things;  but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”  Luke 10:41-42
 
 I went to the immigration office to pick up my Spanish ID card.  It has been difficult to get around without one.  I had discovered earlier that I was being charged additional service fees on my bank account because I did not have that card.  I have had to carry around my passport as ID which has made me very nervous.  I was happy to go and finally acquire my card.  The card has given me a sense that we are finally settling in to our new environment.  The first thing I wanted to do as soon as I received the card was to march over to the bank and adjust the account to reduce the service fees and change the address.
 
One of my biggest misconceptions of coming to Spain was I thought it would be easier to draw closer to God.  Surely if I am focusing daily on ministry that would cause me to continually seek my Lord.  On the contrary,  I have found it most difficult to focus in on what is most important.  That is, being with Him.  The days have quickly filled up with, acquiring documentation, meetings, planning, and studying.  All these activities are very good things that are to get us to a position to help in the efforts here.  However, I find it a daily struggle to set time aside just to be still and read the Scriptures and talk with my Father.  The whole point as to why I am here!  One particular day earlier this week I realized that it was going to be a daily battle to choose “the good part” that will not be taken away from me.  I know many of you who read this understand my struggle for it is your struggle too.  Let’s not let the days fill up with very good activities without placing what is absolutely essential first.  That is to be with Jesus.
 
While I was at the bank, I met with the banker who opened my account.  We had had a good spiritual conversation the day he opened my account.  Today he looked especially anxious.  I was able to offer a quick word of encouragement and gave him the Gospel of John for him to read at his convenience.  He thanked me and told me he would place it on his nightstand to read before bed.  I pray that he will.  Will you pray too?
 
I’m so thankful for those opportunities in the midst of chaos to offer a word of what’s essential.
 
Victor

1 comment: