Tuesday, February 5, 2013

First trip to the clinica...

Well, we knew it would happen sooner or later.  Claudia started running fever Saturday morning.  She woke up crying and I could tell by touch that she had a pretty serious fever.  Well, I didn't bring my thermometer from the states because it had served its time.  I got it as a baby gift when I was pregnant with Claudia so it was nearly six years old.  I did have the foresight, however, to purchase a new thermometer when I saw one in a sales paper a couple of weeks ago.  I put the batteries in it and tried it then and noticed that it was quite sensitive.  Plus, as it sat in its stand on the bathroom counter, I noticed it is quite accurate for recording the ambient temperature.  All this to say:  the thermometer is very sensitive.  Oh, and it records in Celsius.  So I am converting every reading to Fahrenheit.

Saturday morning I got a temperature of 104.  Her temperature would go down with ibuprofen.  The acetaminophen (Tylenol) that I brought from the states had begun to crystallize.  Sunday morning she woke up early with fever.  We made a trip to the pharmacy to get Tylenol only to discover that they do not use the term, acetaminophen.  It is called by its chemical structure, Paracetamol, which by the way, tastes HORRIBLE! She never complained of anything else which was why I was hesitant to take her to the doctor.  Sunday night she slept all night and woke up fever-free.  So I sent her to school.  By lunchtime, she wasn't feeling so good.  She took a nap (which she NEVER does) so I let her sleep it off.  She woke up this morning fever-free again.  So I let her go to school again.  When I picked her up at lunch, she told me her throat was hurting.  I checked her temperature and it was up a little.  Then, today, she fell asleep again.  I checked her temperature again, and it was up a little more.  So I decided we would go ahead and take her.

The office visit was very simple.  Upon entering, the lady took our insurance card and Claudia's information...not a lot of details from the parents...not a single paper to sign; I don't even think they have our address.  The doctor was sitting in the office/patient room and we walked in and explained her symptoms.  The doctor did a quick check of her lungs, nose, & throat.  She told us her throat and ears were irritated and gave us prescriptions: a nasal wash, an antibiotic, and a cough syrup.  In & out in less than 15 minutes.  Off to the pharmacy!

We had the prescriptions filled, brought them home, got a little pharmaceutical advice/confirmation (thanks, Sammy), and bribed Claudia to take them with juice and a Kit-Kat bar (thanks again, Jessica!).  She will stay home the next couple of days to let her rest good and to not spread her germs to her classmates.

All in all, I can say it was a pretty pleasant experience, considering.  We are thankful that it wasn't an emergency and that we were able to communicate fairly accurately with the doctor.
Please lift her up the next couple of days.  I know she will get tired of being home soon.  Plus, Vincent will be upset that he has to go to school and sister doesn't.  :)
We appreciate your prayers.
-Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment