Thursday, September 5, 2013

I Pledge Allegiance


I was listening to some of my favorite songs on my ancient iPod.  It made me think about music in general.  It’s very interesting which words people put to music.  Some songs have silly carefree messages while others carry a theme so profound that it seems only music would do it justice.  It’s those messages that I want to write about in this entry. 

I’m not “musical” in any sense of the word.  I don’t break out into song very often in public.  Aside from maybe two movies, I don’t care for musicals.   They seem silly to me to sing about everything.  But when it comes to the theme of love, it’s hard for me to find a better expression than music.  Love is a hard term to describe, and something that needs its own blog entry.  The love I speak of is the one that is most intense, most exclusive, and demands total allegiance that one, no matter how musically untalented, is willing to belt out their devotion in song.

I admire those who can sing and play instruments because they have a way of communicating I do not have.  I think however that in doing so it lends itself to being used in every aspect of life and relationships.  Someone like me, that can not read music, cannot play an instrument, and struggles to hear tones is unfortunately banished to the confines alone in my vehicle while driving or the shower, never to realize all musical expressions. 

Save one.  I experienced an event so dramatic, so life-changing, so intense, that I cannot contain myself only in spoken word:  I was once dead, but now I have eternal life because of the saving work of Jesus Christ.  He took away what I could not get rid of by my own strength.  He gave me a righteousness that I could not accomplish with any good work of my own.  For that I love Him.  And it is not enough to just say it.  I have to go before a congregation of people saved just like me and sing it!  Words of allegiance, words of praise, words of thanksgiving, words of love that only belong to Him.  It is the only time I feel comfortable enough in myself to offer my song in public.  Nothing is better than the redeemed offering up their song to their Redeemer.

On the other side is the issue of how closely intense love and intense hate can coincide sometimes.  One of my all time least favorite songs has to be Amazing Grace.  Not because of the lyrics or melody or its history, but because I sense that it is so often sung in such a disconnected manner.  Imagine someone loving another so much that they compose a song just for him or her.  With emotion and intensity it is sung.  Now imagine another singing that song not for the same reasons, but to show off their talents or worse not knowing what they are singing at all.  How awful is it to hear a love song by someone who doesn’t love at all.  I sometimes feel that way about the song I offer up in church. Disconnected, unfeeling, unknowing, forgetting what it took for me to even stand and be there.  How quickly worship in song can turn from an act of devotion to an insult.  I remain careful when I sing with the church that my song is connected to my testimony. 

I am thankful for the expression we have in music and song to offer before God.  It is a gift for those who have a message that spoken word cannot clearly describe.  It is also an offering I must be careful with especially when offering it to the One I love.
-Victor

No comments:

Post a Comment